In August 1951 Sis. Lady J. King went to Dansby, AR and attended The Church of the Living God where Bishop James Overton was preaching; after hearing the word of God and accepting the truth she joined the church. Upon returning to Peoria she realized there was not a temple located here. She came across a national journal and found the nearest church was Temple 46 in Decatur, IL where Eld. Fred Hollinshed was the pastor. Pastor Hollinshed agreed to come to Peoria to offer assistance and guidance, and he brought Eld. Robert Robison to Peoria at which time a church was begun in the home of Bro. and Sis. Woodrow Wilson, Sr. There were a total of five families already and Mother Lady King was added to make a total of six families in attendance on Sunday mornings.
Eld. Robison commuted from Decatur to Peoria each week, and while under his leadership the church moved to 215 Merriman St.; from Merriman St. the church moved to a building that was shared with another church on the corner of McBean and McReynolds. From McReynolds the church relocated to a garage in Peoria Heights, but because of finances we were forced to move back to 215 Merriman St. where the church remained until 1958.
In 1959 Eld. Frank Penigar of Milwaukee was appointed pastor. Under the divine leadership of this dynamic and inspiring minister, the church made rapid progress and many souls were added to the church roll. The church moved once again to 701 Smith St. where we were blessed to be able to purchase the property.
In 1966 Eld. Mack Howell of Decatur, IL became pastor and commuted each week until November 1968 when sickness prevented him from traveling. Upon the death of Eld. Howell, his assistant Eld. Robert Teague assumed leadership until November 1969. Eld. Basil Stone from St. Louis, MO was then appointed pastor for the next three years. In 1972 Eld. Lawrence Brown of Chicago, IL became pastor and we moved from Smith St. to 1418 S. Faraday. Under his leadership the church continued to grow and we were blessed to be able to burn the mortgage and pay off other debts.
In 1991 God saw fit to pass the torch to Eld. Leroy Smith Jr. who in 1994 was appointed Overseer of the 2nd District. In 2002 Overseer Smith was elected Bishop of the 4th District. Under Bishop Smith's leadership, souls have been saved through the word of God; countless programs have been established as a result of Bishop Smith's guidance. Through it all God truly blessed the Church of the Living God with 7 acres of land enabling us to build a $2.5 million dollar church home at 2815 W. Lake Ave.
God truly has blessed Church Of The Living God, and we give God all the glory and the honor!